Let's Talk About Feline Obesity!
When we are talking about cats in the average size and weight a little bit of extra weight can mean a bad thing. Any gain of weight for a cat, is very important, even if the owner think it's meanless.
If we can understand why isn't healthy a human being overweight we must understand that neither a cat should be overweight. Putting in technical terms, obesity isn't healthy because it comes with other diseases.
- The cat increases his chances of metabolic diseases. There are studies that show that cats with weight over 15 pounds have more chances to develop Diabetes, and if they indeed develop it, the control is more difficult because of the extra fat in their body.
- The extra weight also increases the cargo over your bud paws and that can cause articular problems, they get tired very easily because their lungs have a smaller capacity of expanding and they also get a lot more lazy, drink less water and pee less, wich increases the risk of urinary diseases.
- They can develop the "fat cat seborrhea" that happens when they can't wash their fur, so they start to get dandruff and greasy fur.
We can pass all day citing the bad effects of feline obesity, but instead we'll give you some advice on how to get your bud in shape!
First of all, you need to get them to a vet, don't put them on a diet without medical monitoring, because with cats the loss of weight when it's not in the correct form can cause Lipidosis, a disease of the liver that is very dangerous for them.
Try playing more with him, so he can get some physical activity (But don't push it! They don't have the same disposition as the normal cats.)
And for last but still very important, try to get them some especial food for obesity.
We've selected some cat foods that will help you with the weight control.
- Healthy Immune Function
- Lean Muscle and Ideal Body Weight
- Helps Maintain Healthy Weight
- Helps Control Hunger Between Meals
- Natural ingredients with added vitamins, minerals, and taurine
- Real chicken protein
- Hariball management
- Helps maintain healthy weight
- For overweight, less active adults
- Contains (1) 16 lbs bag of MAX Indoor Weight Control Indoor Cat Food
- NUTRO MAX CAT Food is made with select ingredients and the vitamins and minerals your cat needs for health and wellness
- Contains 1 - 15-pound bag of cat food
- Formulated for overweight, less active and senior cats
- Contains premium quality meats
- No artificial flavors or colors
- Optimal balance of premium proteins & key nutrients created by Natural Balance's expert nutritionists